Thursday, May 17, 2012

Lemon Grass-p My Coconut Chicken

Call me masochistic but somehow I'm always perusing FoodGawker.com when I'm hungry. Stupid? yes because I want to make and eat everything on there. The presentation makes my stomach grumble thinking about it but I digress. 

I happen to stumble upon this idea of poaching chicken in coconut milk when I was trying to figure out ways to jazz up poached chicken. 
Lets face it, despite the excellent amount of protein it provides, chicken has a tendency to BORING. Just because I'm eating healthier doesn't mean I'm forfeiting flavor.  

Find your nearest 99 ranch market and lets this magic sauce and chicken change your life :)

Ingredients
Sauce:
1 stalk of lemongrass ( diced for maximum flavor extraction)
2 substantial size Thai green chili pepper (split so heat can be extracted)
1 can of coconut milk ( whichever brand you prefer)
1/2 tablespoon of minced garlic
Fish sauce (3 crab brand)
sugar ( season to flavor) 

Chicken (filleted)
Cilantro
julienne carrots 
julienne cabbage
minced garlic

cooked rice (optional: you can serve over anything)

Directions 

Turn head to medium-low-med and seep the coconut milk with lemongrass, chili pepper, and garlic. Let that come to a slow simmer.

Once its simmering add the fish sauce and sugar to flavor (little bit each time). Taste and adjust accordingly.

I filled the chicken breast so it wouldn't take forever to cook. 

Add the chicken breast and simmer until cooked through and take out and cool on place.

Turn heat to med high and simmer to reduce the sauce.  

In the meantime. stir fry the carrots and cabbage in a bit of oil with garlic. I didn't season the veggies because I think the sauce will season the veggies when I drizzle on top.

Top rice with the stir fry veggies, chicken, and pour your preferred amount of sauce on top and garnish with cilantro.

Enjoy happy healthy eating!





No comments:

Post a Comment