Monday, August 16, 2010

Moist and Tender Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting

Sprinkles, eat your heart out! 

No longer will I pay that ridiculous price of $3.75 for a single cupcake when it costs me the same amount to make 24 cupcake!

I love chocolate anything but its hard to find the right balance of chocolate desserts without it being overly sweet or dry. This recipe I found on food gawker(per bestie Jenny's recommendation) struck the elusive balance of chocolate and sweetness without bombarding your tongue with a thick coat of chocolate flavor and the need for a side of insulin to lower that outrageous blood sugar levels. 

Make it and weep. 

I guarantee you'll be licking the crumbs off the cupcake foil! 

Without further adieu 

Ingredients: 
Recipe makes about 24 cupcakes ( using 1/4 cup scoop for each cupcake)
2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweeten cocoa from trader joes
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk ( i used 2 %)
1/2 cup vegetable oil (i used melted unsalted butter)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

Frosting:
1 cup peanut butter ( store kind: don't use all natural because the oils will separate)
1/2 cup heavy cream ( I used 4 Tablespoon of heavy cream)
1/3 cup powder sugar( I used less than this. I would sift in a little and taste. I added to my personal preference)
7 oz of softened/room temperature  cream cheese 

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pans with liners.
Stir together sifted sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
Add eggs, milk, butter,and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes.
Stir in boiling water while mixing(batter will be very thin).
Pour batter into cupcake liners.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.


Frosting

Mix peanut butter, cream cheese and powder sugar in a bowl until combined. You can do it the traditional way by whipping the heavy cream separately to medium stiff peaks and then fold into the peanut butter cream cheese mixture. I did it the easy/lazy way where  I drizzled in enough heavy cream to get it to a manageable and smooth consistency that I desired. Frost and enjoy! 


Refrigerate uneaten cupcakes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment